Birthday Card for Dad



I just love using my Silhouette! It's so easy to use and I'm impressed with every cut it makes.  For Christmas my mom got me the most awesome accessory for it.  The QuickKuts Ballpoint Pen Holder uses a regular ballpoint pen (or any other pen really) to draw your design instead of cut it! It's pretty great to use for making cards.


My father-in-law's birthday is on Saturday so I decided to make him a card using only the Silhouette.  I'm excited with the way that it turned out!  I was inspired by a design that I found on Pinterest so I adapted it a bit to fit what I was looking for!  I even used the pen holder to write the inside of the card. (Yes, I realize I could have used the printer but it was more fun this way!)




I used a bunch of different patterns of paper that I had lying around.  Most of them were from a pad of scrapbooking paper that I found at Michaels.  When I saw the card on Pinterest I thought the ties were a cute touch so a made a few of those to add to it.

I used the pen holder for the "Happy Birthday, Dad!" on the front and for the message inside.  It was just a regular old ballpoint pen (actually it was a pharmacy pen from Brennan's work). 

There are a few things that I learned about using the pen holder.  I was slightly bummed that it doesn't work with a Sharpie pen :( It's just a TINY bit too big for the pen tip to stick out of the holder.  

Also to get the best quality when using a regular ballpoint pen, you need to change the settings of your silhouette to "Silhouette Sketch Pen" with a speed of 10 and a thickness of 25.